Friday, February 20, 2015

Salt Dough Crafts

I wanted to do something for my parents and in-laws for the Valentine's Day/Family Day weekend, as well as for us.
I've seen lots of craft ideas using a child's hand and footprints and figured I would do something similar. 
Originally I wanted to shape her footprints into a heart but have you ever tried this with a kid who can't bear weight on their legs?
I also tried to do her handprints but that is just as difficult as she would make a fist every time I tried to press her hand into the dough.
Even when asleep.

Maybe if I had rolled out the dough thinner...?

Anyway, I got enough of an imprint to paint it which helped it stand out.

If you're feeling brave, give this craft a whirl. 


  • In a bowl, mix together 1 cup flour with 1/2 cup salt. 
  • Add in 1/2 cup water slowly as you may not need all of it. Mix together, careful not to let the dough become too sticky.
  • Knead the dough then roll out on a lightly floured surface and cut out desired shapes.
  • Struggle to get your child's hand or footprint on the dough.
  • Allow dough to dry overnight, then bake at 170 degrees for 2-3 hours until completely dry. 

And let me know if you try this with an infant and have a foolproof method.

No comments:

Post a Comment