Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bacon-wrapped Filet Mignon with brocolli and orzo

I'm back!
Still sick but recovering.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Especially to all my relatives in the Emerald Isle but also everyone here in Canada as we definitely celebrate it hard.
Since John and I were both home for dinner tonight and because Loblaws had a crazy good sale on steak I decided to fancy it up and make a delicious dinner:
Bacon-wrapped Filet mignon with Butter Brocolli and Orzo
Filet mignon is a deliciously, melt in your mouth tender cut of steak, often called a tenderloin. They tend to be pricey so look for them when they're on sale. To wrap them with bacon just stretch the peice of bacon around the side of the steak and secure it with either toothpicks or an oven-safe silicon band.
For the butter brocolli: Melt 1 1/2 tbsp of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add brocolli then add in another 1 1/2 tbsp of butter cut into smaller peices overtop. Allow the brocolli to sautee for a few minutes then turn heat to low and cover with a lid.
For the orzo: add your desired amount to boiling water and cook for about 8 minutes. Drain, add in enough red wine (I used a beaujoulais nouveau) to cover the bottom, turn off the heat. Stir the pasta into it and then cover to allow the wine to evaporate into the pasta. I would have added more flavour in hindsight.
My Aunt Wendy is in Toronto spending some girl time with my mom. As you know they're all coming over here for dinner on Friday! I'm excited.
I stopped by my parents house today to visit and to say hello to my sister who had her wisdom teeth taken out yesterday.
Do you know what my darling Aunt brought me?
MERINGUE POWDER!!!
The elusive missing ingredient for royal icing that I've been trying to make!
And she bought me fondant as well!
I'm very excited to finally try it out for myself.
In other news, starting April 1st this blog is going to include a weekly check in.
A check in of what?
My fitness and get-fit challenge for July 1st.
How am I going to do this?
Running, swimming, and cycling.
And this little secret.

The P90X.
So ready.
April 1st. It's going to be you and me, Tony Horton. I'm ready for you.
Bring it.

Hope everyone had (is having) a wonderful St. Patty's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Is is a coincidence you're starting P90X on April Fools Day?

    ReplyDelete