Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Matzo Ball Soup for Passover

To all of my Jewish friends (and sister) - Happy Passover!

Many of you may be getting together this weekend for a seder with family and friends. For those of you who aren't Jewish, Passover is a celebration of the Hebrew escape from Egypt. It is a time to contemplate the endurance of the Jewish people throughout history and to remember the many struggles and inequalities that they, as a people, have faced.
Passover officially began March 29th at sundown and will come to a close once the sun sets on April 5th.
Today's recipe is in honour of my little sister who, while maybe wasn't born Jewish, has certainly been adopted into the religious celebrations of her friends.
For Robin -
Matzo Ball Soup
(Image and recipe courtesy of marthastewart.com)
To make your very own Matzo Ball Soup:

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 large eggs and 3 tbsp vegetable oil until combined. Whisk in 1/2 cup water and salt. Add 3/4 cup matzo meal, and whisk until combined. Cover and refrigerate batter until firm, 2 to 4 hours.
2. Line a baking pan with parchment. Bring 10 cups of chicken stock to a boil in a large wide saucepan, and reduce heat to a simmer.
3. Slightly dampen your fingertips, and form 2 heaping tablespoons of batter into a 1 1/2-inch ball, being careful not to compress the mixture too much. Place ball on the prepared pan. Repeat process with remaining batter.
4. Using a large spoon, slide the matzo balls into the simmering stock. Once all the balls have been added, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Chop and add 3 medium carrots and 2 medium parsnips, cover, and continue cooking for 20 to 25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the matzo balls are cooked through. To test if the matzo balls are done, remove a ball from the water, and slice in half. The color should be light throughout. If the center is darker, cook 5 to 10 minutes more.
5. To serve, fill the soup bowls evenly with soup and vegetables, allotting each person one or two matzo balls, depending on his or her appetite. Garnish with fresh dill, and serve immediately.
My day has been terrible so far. I woke up at 5 am and proceeded to throw up the fries I hd eaten at midnight. I later threw up orange juice. I was not a happy camper this morning. I missed school AND had to take the night off work because I didn't want to spend my shift hiding in the bathroom.
Until about 5 minutes ago the only things I could keep down were tea and flat diet pepsi. But I just ate a banana as my stomach had begun to rumble (a good sign, hopefully) so we'll see how that goes over.
Me, this morning in a spot on accurate visual representation:
This is what I had (even though I'm not supposed to, don't tell on me mom) and kind of want to have another one....is that bad?

And this is something that I saw that looks kind of interesting....

(Photo courtesy of perezhilton.com)

It's a edible gold paint that you can use to style-up your food. And I kind of want it...just for the aesthetical value.

Anyway, I may go run myself a second bath...then finish up some school work, watch some 'It's always sunny in Philadelphia' and then go back to bed.

Good riddance, stomach bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment