Monday, April 29, 2013

A Twist on Banana Bread: Cake Balls

 Having gotten back into the kitchen and making more dinners and also starting to bake again, I couldn't help but try something new with banana bread.
It's a staple recipe - when you have bananas that start to get a little too brown my fail safe is a loaf (or two) of banana bread. I've tried different variations to keep it fresh. I made one with an oreo cookie crumb bottom, with sliced bananas layered inside the bread, with eggies, with caramel chocolate chips, etc.
This time, having had some success with my red velvet cake pops, I decided I would turn my banana bread into cake balls!
 
 
  • Preheat oven to 350 degress.
  • Beat 1/4 cup butter with 3/4 cup sugar. Add in 1 egg and mix until combined.
  • Mix in 2 medium bananas, 1 tbsp vanilla, 1/4 cup milk, and mix until smooth.
  • Add in 1 1/4 cup flour, 1 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp salt and mix until combined.
  • Bake for about 45 mins to 1 hour or until a tester inserted into the cake comes out clean. For cake balls/pops I find it's better to use a cake that is still a bit soft so err on the side of 45 mins rather than an hour.
  • Let the banana bread cool completely then crumble into peices. If your bread is crustier (like mine was) pop it into a blender and pulvarize it down into breadcrumbs.
  • Mix with 1/2 cup Philadelphia chocolate spread. Form into balls and put in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
  • Melt 1 bag of chocolate melts then dip each ball into the chocolate, letting the excess drip off. Allow the chocolate shell to harden
  •  
    I decorated mine with banana candies as well as with dried banana chips.
    Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment