Friday, November 22, 2013

Holiday Prep: Glass Etching & Pinecones

This morning John took the pup with him to work which meant I got to sleep in and spend the day out running errands without a care as to needing to walk the dog.
I imagine this is what having kids is like only slightly less tiring.
 
Once I got up I headed out to Michael's to buy some craft supplies.
I went with the intention of buying paints to give some edge to the pinecones I had collected at the park.
I've abandoned the squash/gourd centerpiece on our too infrequently used dinner table and am moving to something more holiday/winter appropriate.
 
Obviously I never buy only what I went to get.
I walked out with supplies to etch glass, circular knitting kneedles, more yarn, wrapping paper and baker's twine.
 
I immediately got to work on the glass etching.
 

 
I bought:
  • Martha Stewart Crafts® Etch Cream, and
  • Martha Stewart Crafts® Adhesive Stencil
Working with gloves and in a well ventilated area, arrange the stencils as desired then paint the cream in a thick layer over top. Allow it to dry for 15 mins then wash off with water and remove the stencils.
Voila!

 
You may not be able to see it too well but it's our name with a decorative little flourish at the bottom.
I'm going to try and do some more glass etching projects.
 
While I was waiting for the cream to dry I went to my craft box and pulled out mod podge and some glitter. After applying a coat of the glue onto the edges of the pinecone I dusted it with red glitter then allowed it to dry before shaking off the excess.  

 
I plan to gather a few more pinecones tomorrow and glitter coat a few more, one gold and maybe one silver.
 
Tomorrow (once I get home from work in the a.m. and take el poocho for a walk around the block - humming aloud to my christmas jams, natch) I plan on putting on my PJs with hot chocolate and curling up in bed with a christmas movie. After a short nap (I don't want to sleep too long in case I can't fall asleep tomorrow night) I plan on starting my christmas baking!
 
On the docket: Molasses spice cookies turned into thumbprints with the spicy balsamic grape jam that John made and/or apricot biscotti.
 
That post to come!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment