Friday, May 21, 2010

Gluten-Free Rainbow Chip Cake

This little kitty has an appointment with the veterinarian's vaccination needles today.
Then in a week and a bit he gets the old one-two declaw-neuter combo.
Poor little bugger.
Bahahaha I have the best cat. That picture breaks my heart with its cuteness factor.
I've embarked on an exciting baking adventure. A two parter.
First.
My best friend's birthday is this Sunday so I made her a cake for her party.
She has stomach issues so she has gone back on a gluten-free diet to see if things get better. As a person with a food allergy, I understand the hardships that people with food allergies, intolerances, and sensitivities face. I get it. I've had to say no to cakes, cookies, etc because there's a good chance they may have nuts in them. It hurts me inside 'cause they look so good.
Anyway, being such an in-touch, sensitive person (toot toot - what's that noise? Oh just me tooting my own horn) I bought some rice flour to make an entirely gluten free cake!
I made a gluten free carrot cake last year and the texture was definitely different from regular flour. This year she wanted rainbow chip so I tried to make my own version.

Kind of looks like rainbow chip right?
I haven't been able to properly taste this cake so I can't give you an accurate rating. The texture is not as light and fluffy as a regular cake. It's a bit more dense and I have good reason to believe the rice flour is sweeter than regular flour. Or so I was lead to believe when I licked the bowl clean.
But if you want to try and make a gluten free cake, here's how you can do it!

Gluten-Free Rainbow Chip Cake
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a bowl, mix together 2 1/2 cups rice flour, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, and 1 tsp cinnamon. Pour about 1 1/2 cups milk in but pour slowly and whisk the milk in to the flour mixture until it is smooth. You may need less than this or you may need more - the recipe I followed called for 3/4 cup but that was waaaayyy too little so I eyeballed how much I used.
  • In a seperate bowl mix together 1 egg and 3/4 cup sugar. Add this to the flour mixture and mix well. Mix in about 1/3 cup sprinkles.
  • Pour cake mix into a greased pan and bake for about 25 minutes.

The second baking adventure that I've been undertaking is top secret until Saturday....I may post it now and set it to post later on tomorrow.

It's pretty cool - I'm proud of myself!

Happy Long Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment