Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pulled Pork & Cornbread Crepes

I spent the long weekend in Niagara on the Lake in a rented house with a group of amazing people.
We sipped wine in between bike rides, finished a keg, played a lot of drinking games, swam and sat in the sun (somebody got a serious sunburn. Hint: it was me).
We also did most of this in costume.
It was Frisky Business vs. Cherry Poppins vs. Teenage Mutant Drinking Turtles.

At Hinterbrook we did a tour of the facility and samples a riesling, a sauvignon blanc, and a very interesting franc blanc. John and I ended up buying a bottle. It's a white that is as hearty as a red.


Then we hopped back on our bikes and headed over to Strewn where we sampled a bit more and I bought a bottle of a gewurtz/reisling for the birthday girl.


It was a bit cold but riding with the wind in our faces in beautiful wine country felt amazing.
Especially since I was on 2 (seperate) hours of sleep and needed something to wake me up.
Night shifts...
Plus we had a bike 'gang' of 11 people and the guys kept trying to do tricks like stand on the seat, lie on the seat... in the picture you can see the guy in the middle has his legs up.


My team was the Turtles.
The other teams really coordinated their outfits and we took ...a different approach.
I did paint abs and a shell on my shirt though.


And I don't know why this picture is so stretched but.... ladies and gentlemen, your warning to always wear (and reapply liberally) sunscreen:


Now to your recipe.
I love pulled pork and try to make it about once a month. It lasts a few meals and you can use it in a lot of different ways - sandwiches, salads, etc.
I was inspired by a friend who had made pulled pork for her teams brunch on the weekend. She also did a pan of roasted root vegetables.
So I bought some potatoes, sweet potatoes, parsnips, and onion and roasted them in some olive oil and maple syrup.

I also wanted to go the cornbread route but with a different spin.
I made cornbread crepes!
But I had no eggs so I kind of just didn't add eggs...
They turned out a bit thicker than I was hoping which is my error cause I didn't thin them out enough in the pan. But they were still tasty!


Cornbread Crepes

(recipe courtesy of Southern Living)

3/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil

4 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt


  • Process all ingredients in a blender until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides. Transfer to a bowl and chill 1 hour.
  • Coat a 7-inch nonstick skillet with vegetable cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Pour 1/4 cup batter into pan; quickly tilt pan in all directions so batter covers bottom of pan. Cook 3 minutes or until top is set. Turn out onto wax paper; cool. Repeat with remaining batter.

No comments:

Post a Comment