Saturday, September 25, 2010

It's Official: I'm a (Half) Marathon Runner!

After a very un-restful night's sleep (nerves), I woke up this morning at 5:35 am with an entire conservatory of butterflies in my stomach.
Leaving the house with my mom at 6:15, we parked and made our way to the starting corrals of the
Toronto Scotiabank Waterfront Marathon!
I ran the half in 2 hours and 11 minutes!
It was brutal at times, exhilarating at others.
I was nervous I would go too fast and not pace myself, leaving me too fatigued to finish strong or finish at all. I followed behind the 2:15 pace bunny for awhile...until I witnessed him blow a snot rocket onto the side of the road. At that point I figured I'd make my own pace and go at a speed I was comfortable maintaining.
Since the course was a loop out west and then back east along lakeshore (and then continuing east and looping back west again for the marathoners), I was curious as to how far I would get before the uber-marathoners started coming back east.
I saw the first runner as I hit the 7 k marker.
Which was also located very close to the 17 k marker on the other side.
The man ran 17 k in the time it took me to run 7!
I got goosebumps watching them run by. Their paces are ridiculous! I'm pretty sure their comfortable pace is my sprint.
There were a few times too when the road curved just right, and all you could see ahead was a road full of runners. Almost 22,000 people ran this morning. Insane!
I didn't hit a wall (I was convinced I would), but there were a few times I shot some envious looks at the people walking. I refused to stop running even at the water stations. I slowed down, sure, but not enough to prevent me from spilling more on myself than I drank. I also nearly choked myself at one water station, trying to take a bigger gulp than I should have while maintaining my pace. Oops.
My body held up pretty well through to the 12 k turn-around and then it was a mental fight to stop thinking about how much my feet, ankles, knees, and hips ached. They seemed to cycle through, pain wise, so I survived. Now though is another story. I look like a hobbled old woman when I walk.
The last km was the hardest. It felt the longest and I was very aware of how tired I was. I pushed through and even managed to speed up through the last 500 m. I saw my mom screaming my name and it gave me the boost I needed to boot it into high gear and cross the finish line.

Then I grabbed my finisher's medal, a stylish emergency blanket (which was actually very appreciated as I was freeeeeeezing afterward), and went to meet up with my mom, dad, and sister.
I feel amazing. Apart from the stiff joints.
I accomplished something I have always wanted to do and can cross it off my list of things to do before I die.
I can't wait to do it again!
I got an email from my beloved Williams-Sonoma and have found a covet-worthy thanksgiving baking item:

It's a mold for little cakes in the shape of (I think...) pumpkins, acorns, etc. Adorable.

I also want to buy pie weights (but from Winners cause they're a bit cheaper) so I can experiment with making mittens that you warm up in the microwave.

Well, I have to stop procrastinating and get back to the two assignments I have due this week.

I ran a half-marathon !!!


  1. YAY You're AWESOME!

    Plus, that pan is amazing. It should totally be a "hey I just ran a half marathon I totally deserve some bakeware" gift!

  2. You did it! Congrats! Pie weights, I can't believe you finally got them!