Not very Christmas-y but it was a request so here is today's recipe!
- Prepare a pie crust (either use a premade one or make one or throw together a quick graham cracker crust). Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar, 4 tsps cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boi, stiring constantly. Boil for one minute until mixture thickens then remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Beat 3 egg yolks (set whites aside for use later) with a fork and set aside in a small bowl. In another saucepan, mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/3 cup cornstarch and 1 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil over medium hea, stiring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Pour half into the egg yolks, mix, then pour back into the rest of the sugar mixture. Add in 3 tbsp butter, 2 tsp grated lemon peel, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and 2 drops of lemon food colouring.
- In the bowl of a mixer, whip the 3 egg whites. Slowly add in the first sugar mixture which should now be cooled. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Pour lemon filling into the crust then top with the egg whites. Make sure the egg white meringue is spread right to the edges of the pie crust to keep the filling from shrinking during baking.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the meringue is light brown. Cool for 2 hours, cover and refrigerate.
I put up my Christmas wreath! Waiting for John to get home tonight and then tomorrow we're going to go get a tree!
I also wrapped gifts....I'm getting excited!
Only 16 days to go!