Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Miller Tavern

For the past 3 years, John has wanted to go to The Miller Taven for his birthday dinner.
So this year was no exception.
 
I love this place. I always enjoy my meal, my wine, and the general ambience of the place.
 
We started the night with Malpeque oysters (ugh gross) for John and some bread with maple butter for me.
(Oh how I miss bread so badly on this cleanse. I almost caved and ate a baguette with cheese earlier this evening.)
 
 
We also got a bottle of a wine we've purchased from Cave Spring before (and drank pretty quickly) - The Dolomite Riesling.
The dolomite is so named because of the dolomitic limestone that can be found in the Niagara Escarpment and which gives the wine a real minerally, delicious taste.
Highly recommend this one if you're looking for a good sweeter white.

 
I was torn between the burger, the Sri Lankan chicken curry that seems to be my go-to, and the jerk chicken sandwich.
Lured by the combination of pineapple and bacon, I went with the Jerk Chicken Sandwich ($15).
It came loaded with grilled pineapple, bacon, pickled red onion, mango aïoli,
and jalapeño jack cheese.
And it was good.
I cut it in half thinking I'd save half but ... the sandwich was gone pretty quickly.

 
John, having been wowed off his seat last year when he ordered the burger, decided to go a different route and got the Portobello Mushroom Ravioli ($18).
It came with asparagus, pea shoots, rosé cream sauce and chipped reggiano.
I had a bite and even though I dislike mushrooms (cooked, I'll eat them raw), this ravioli was pretty good.
We were too stuffed to enjoy any desert but I bought him some cupcakes from a place near us called Bakes & Goods and I sang a proper happy birthday to him the next night.

 
Check out The Miller Tavern especially if you love seafood.
It's pricey but well worth it if you're willing to splurge.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. AnonymousJune 05, 2013

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete