Sunday, January 26, 2014

Potato Pierogies

For some reason yesterday I was intensely craving pierogies.
Actually I know the exact reason. The cook where I work had made them for our patients for lunch and they looked phenomenal.

So I had to have them.
Usually if we have them we eat them as a breakfast food, fried up from our store bought frozen stash with bacon and onions.
But I wanted to make my own. So I did!
They're quite easy to make and considering I've never attempted them before and they turned out not too badly, I'd say they might be foolproof.

The only thing I'd fix for next time is that I'd either add more filling or make my circles smaller or the dough thinner as I ended up cutting off and not eating a lot of the outer edges.

Also I'd add bacon.

Always add bacon.


(recipe loosely adapted from Martha Stewart's potato pierogi recipe)

In a mixing bowl, lightly whisk 1 egg. Add in 2 tbsp sour cream and mix together.
Mix in 1 cup milk and 1 cup water
Add in 5 cups of flour, one cup at a time. Knead the dough for 8-10 minutes until elastic.
Place dough in a lightly floured bowl and cover with plastic wrap.

Bring to a boil a pot of salted water. Boil 10 potatoes until tender when pierced with a fork. 
Drain water, add in 1/2 cup cream cheese & 2 tbsp butter and mash together.
*I would also highly recommend adding in crumbled bacon here, however I didn't have bacon on hand (I know, how did that happen!?) so I won't include it in this recipe.

Roll out the dough on a floured surface.
Cut out circles and place a dollop of your potato filling in the center. 
Pick up each circle of dough in your hand and press the edges together to seal. You can scallop the edges with a fork for a fancier look.


Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Drop pierogies in and allow them to cook and rise to the top. Allow them to cook for about 2 minutes more once they've floated up. Remove from the pot and drain off excess water.

Heat a frying pan and melt 2 tbsp butter.
Cut 1/2 onion and 1 clove garlic and cook until translucent.
Add in pierogies and cook until crisp and browned.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream & enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment