Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Wanted: New skill, new sweater, new recipe

I am really good at french braiding hair.
I don't mean to sound like a braggart but it's a skill that I've worked hard at and am quite proud of. I can even reverse french braid so that you braid under instead of over, which makes the braid look like it's lying on top of your hair.
I have always wanted to learn how to fishtail braid my hair. Recently I came across a "how-to" article in LouLou magazine while I was browsing through it at work. I spent probably a good five to ten minutes attempting and re-attempting to create a fishtail.
To no avail.
So I came home and youtubed it. Hey, it worked for knitting. But, alas, the videos made it look so easy and my clusmy hands failed to acheive hair greatness.
But I WILL learn. I'm determined. And I have a whole long weekend coming up in which to practice.


If you want to try and acquire a new skill with me let's learn together.
Another newbie I'm after is of a sartorial nature.
On Friday, I'm going to Value Village in search of a beauty similar to this:



Why?
Well, why not?
It's the ultimate cottage sweatshirt. Worn in, won't matter if it gets dirty and saturated with the smell of campfire smoke, and it really puts the wearer back in touch with nature. The majesty of the wolf - can you resist?
Cross your fingers for me that Value Village has one of these just waiting for me.
Lastly, for the Saturday fam-jam dinner, we've been brainstorming a quick but still delicious desert idea. I wanted to make a no-bake cheesecake but to keep it simple and quick and easier to feed upwards of 20 people, we've decided on grilled peaches with cinnamon, honey, and a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
So obviously I've been craving peaches.


Farmers markets say they've rippened sooner than usual this year so get 'em while they're hot.
The best peaches I've ever had were these gigantors from a fruit/convenience store in the plaza across the street from the outdoor pool I used to work at. True story: I did a replacement shift there one day last summer and made a beeline to the peaches during my dinner break.

Yum.
I'll post a recipe for it once we figure it all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment