Sunday, September 11, 2011

Cinnamon Cakes with Warm Apple Compote

Today is my future sister-in-law's birthday and we celebrated last night at John's parents' house. We dined on steak and salmon, salads and sweet potatoes and finished the night with a tuxedo cake from Costco (delicious, I highly recommend it).
We got her a gift certificate to a swanky restaurant in the area and to go with it I was going to make profiteroles but didn't have time.
Instead, I turned to a recipe I saw in the LCBO Food & Drink magazine from last fall.

  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl cream 1/2 cup butter with 1 cup brown sugar. Beat in 1 egg and 2 tsp vanilla.
  • Mix together in a nother bowl 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp salt. Add into the butter mix, alternating with 1 cup sour cream so that the flour is added in 3 batches and the sour cream is added in 2.
  • Pour batter into a cake pan or other pan of your choosing. Bake for 45 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean. 
  • Meanwhile, in a pot over medium-high heat, combine 4 apples, peeled and diced, with 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and the juice of 1 lemon. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for another 5 minutes or until apples are soft.
  • In a bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp water, and a pinch of cinnamon. Brush this glaze over the warm cakes then spoon the apple compote over each slice or mini-cake. Serve warm.

These cakes are a great fall dessert, especially on colder evenings. The apple is such an autumn flavour and the warmth of the dessert makes it that much better.

In other (less exciting) news I finally rode the new subway! Toronto has one new subway train and I can finally say I've been on it. It's pretty nice...

Well I'm off to bed.
I'll be ready this week with some new recipes for dinner and deserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment