Friday, September 23, 2011

The Inevitable 'Back To The Real World' Exhaustion

Every September I try and ease myself back into the work/school schedule.
Usually I end up just sort of being thrust into it.
Such is the case once again.
This week has been incredibly busy - although I did find time to bake s'mores cookies on Tuesday afternoon AND madeleine's Wednesday night. I stand by my opinion that baking is the best stress reliever.
Monday was work and school and trying to work around that fact that I had double booked myself for both class (it won) and a training for my new part-time job as a swim instructor at a children's rehab hospital.
A glass of wine and the roast of Charlie Sheen on Monday night was the last time I can remember sitting on the couch totally relaxed.
Tuesday I took the day off work to frantically try and work on my history essay outline that's due this Sunday (still not done...) and to complete an online learning module for how to use the electronic patient records at my placement hospital (Passed! Hurray!).
Wednesday was my first 12 hour shift (ever) in the ICU. The nurse I was working with is probably the sweetest person I've ever met. Everyone was so nice and welcoming on the unit. I spent the day observing, learning how to read the machines, and getting familiar with the goings-on in a cardiovascular ICU.
I have to say, so far I'm really enjoying it.
The nurses in the CVICU generally have one patient which means there is more time to really get to know the unique needs of that person as well as build better relationships with both the patient and the patients family. I did my fair share of comforting on Wednesday.
And I don't want to brag (yes I do, I'm exhausted and want praise heaped upon me) but I got a hug from the patient's partner when she left for the night on Thursday.
Thursday was also spent in the ICU but only until 4:30. Then I had to pack up and head over to a training for my job at the children's rehab hospital. I got home just before 11 pm last night and threw myself into bed.
Today I have a meeting then class, then another training for my job with the City.
Tomorrow...another training. 12-9. Then I have to come home and finish this history outline.
Sunday looks like it will be spent back in the ICU to avoid doing 2 back-to-back night shifts this upcoming week.
Wednesday night will be my first night shift. I didn't want to do 2 straight away because I'm fairly certain it's going to be a rough night.

Monday, once I'm home from class (around 6)...

(original picture from this blog)

How strange that I look forward to Monday rather than the weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment