Saturday, September 10, 2011

Spinach Cavatappi Gratin

I'm still excited about my placement!
It's so much more nerve-wracking than being on a nephrology unit or a post-surgical unit ... I don't know what to expect and I think that's what's making me so anxious to get onto the unit and to see what kinds of skills I will be learning and using.

Last night John and I went to see Contagion and I recommend it.
It's not exactly a happy, feel-good movie but I enjoyed it.
We also ran into two friends just as we were going into the theatre which was a nice surprise!

This morning we're going out for breakfast and to run a few errands but before I go I want to post the recipe from last night's dinner.
We had a pasta dish that I saw in the Milk calendar and wanted to try.
Having tasted the recipe I'm suggesting the addition of bacon or ground turkey (which I bought with the intention of using but forgot in the fridge).

  • Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook 1 1/2 cups of pasta (you don't have to use cavatappi but the curly shape grabs more of the sauce. Cavatappi is also called scoobi-do.....ya, I know). Add in 2 shredded carrots at the last minute of cooking. Drain and set aside.
  • Using the same pot, melt 1 tbsp butter and 3 cloves of garlic minced, 1 tsp paprika, 3/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper. Whisk in 2 cups of milk.
  • In a bowl whisk together 1 cup of milk and 2 tbsp flour. Add to the pot of warm milk and stir until combined. Stir on medium high heat until bubbling and thickened.
  • Remove from heat and add in pasta and 1 pkg (thawed) spinach. If you're using fresh spinach stir it around until it is wilted. Add in 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (I used marble).
  • *** For added flavour add in crumbled bacon or ground turkey/beef.
  • Spread pasta into a casserole dish and set the oven to broil. Top the pasta with 1 cup of bread crumbs and 1/4 cup cheese. Melt under the broiler for about 5 minutes or until the top is bublly and brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment