Friday, September 2, 2011

Let's Go To The Ex: Deep Fried Edition

Yesterday (after sitting through a 7 hour orientation for my last year of nursing during which we learned, once again - and in depth - how to wash our hands, AND that despite the fact that school begins in a few days we still do not know our clinical placements) I went to the Ex!
For those of you who are not familiar with The Ex, I'm talking about the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE). Every summer for the last 2 weeks before Labour Day, Exhibition grounds in Toronto is set up with rides, games, and (funny enough) exhibitions.
There are products from countries all across the world, an arts, crafts & hobbies building, a food building (my favourite), and much more.
I went on a few rides but I didn't want to try my luck with any of the crazier ones as my stomach still felt a little bloated...and I've also become skeptical of the safety of the CNE rides in my old age.
I think I've told the story of The Zipper and how my sister and I thought we were goners.
Speaking of old age, I won a medium sized gorilla at the "Guess Your Age/Weight/Birth Month" booth. Believing I look remarkably younger than I am, I went with age. He had to guess within 2 years of my actual age and he guessed wrong, though he wouldn't show me what he guessed.... I'm telling myself he guessd 20.
If it was over 28 it would break my heart.

The goal of the night (get ready for this - so begins my get-healthy-for-your-wedding diet) was to sample as much of the fried foods that the Ex has to offer this year.
Last year's big attraction was the deep fried butter.
I didn't try it because 1. it sounds absoutely disgusting and 2. the line up was HUGE.

This year there were  few attractions, but I'll save the best for last.
Also, most of these pictures I took on my blackberry and cleaned up in picnik but the first one I forgot to take a picture of so I had to google an image.

Deep Fried Oreo Cookies


Delicious.
Healthy? Not a chance but oreos only increase in deliciousness when covered in essentially a funnel cake.

Deep Fried Mac & Cheese


I had higher hopes for this one.
Eventually it had to be doused in hot sauce as the flavour sort of died out once the fried cheese curds were gone. Deep fried noodles aren't all that flavourful.
Still good though.

Deep Fried Cola

I didn't know how they could do this but one of my nursing friends explained to me that they deep fry the syrup. That is exactly what they do! Unfortunately the syrup doesn't retain much of the cola flavour once it's been fried. It's more like funnel cake that they cover in a cola syrup, powdered sugar and some whipped cream. It's still delicious because funnel cakes are delicious but this is one you could probably skip. Or try the deep fried slushie that they offer.

Ok, now we get to the main attraction.
I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I searched for this.
Every food stand outside, and inside the food building. For some reason I couldn't find it. Eventually I overheard two guys asking about it (in the line for the deep fried cola) so I followed them.
And found it.


Not the Behemoth - a burger sandwiched between 2 grilled cheese sandwiches on Texas toast, no less.
I'm sure it has become a legend in it's own right:

Krispy Kreme Donut Burger




Yup.
I thought it would be the most disgusting flavour combination but I was still so drawn to it.
I had 2 pretty decent sized bites and honestly, it's kind of good.
Flavour-wise, that is. Not calorie wise. That bad boy packs about 1500 calories.
I should mention I also got it with bacon.
I ate half of it, 2 bites with the donut buns then I just ate the burger patty (with the cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato).
This is one of those things you have to try once because honestly when are you ever going to eat a beef patty in between 2 donuts ever again?

Finally, before leaving, I picked up a dozen of the most delicious and best smelling exhibition deserts:

Tiny Tom Donuts

I'm going on a hunger strike until my arteries de-clog.

1 comment:

  1. Did you wash your hands before the Ex like a proper nurse? A donut burger and fried cola? I think I have to get checked for diabetes just reading your post.
    Good luck with your final year.

    ReplyDelete