Thursday, September 1, 2011

'Good Things' for September 2011

I haven't done a 'Good Things' (insert MSLO trademark here) post in a long time so this is overdue.
It's also hard not to repeat things from last year's September Good Things because I tend to like the same things I've always liked.
That being said, I may try and narrow each month's Good Things down to 3 because otherwise I might go overboard.
And I'll try and keep wedding stuff out of it...until next Spring/Summer because then that's all this blog is going to focus on.
Without further ado, let me present to you

Jamie's Good Things for September

Fall fashions.


Tweed dresses and Peacoats from Joe Fresh, warm sweaters, colourful skinny jeans from the Gap.
I like fall clothing because you can layer somedays when there's a bit of a chill in the air, and you can still get away with summer clothes on those warmer days.
Plus there's that smell in the air...nothing else explains it but autumn.


Apples



I'm pretty sure I've posted apples as a good thing before but they are to fall what peaches are to summer.
Thee are so many great apple recipes, from pies to tarts, to bread and sauce and beyond.
One thing I particularly like is hot apple cider so here's a recipe from The Daily Kitchen if you want to be adventurou and make your own cider from scratch!

Apple Cider

1. Quarter 8-10 apples (no need to remove peel or seeds).
2. In a large stock pot add your apples and fill with water--just enough to cover the apples.
3. Add 1/2 to 1 cup sugar.
4. Wrap 4 tbsp or 4 sticks of cinnamon and 4 tbsp of allspice in a doubled up cheese cloth and tie, and add this to the apples and water.
5. Boil on high for one hour (uncovered) checking on it frequently.
6. Turn down heat and let simmer for two hours (covered).
7. Take off the heat after two hours of simmering and let cool.
8. Remove spices and mash up the apples to a pulp like consistency (a potato masher works well for this).
9. Once cool pour into a strainer over a large bowl. When most of the juice has drained away, put the remainder of the pulp into a doubled up cheese cloth and squeeze over the bowl until no more juice comes out.
10. (At this point you can either restrain the juice to get out the little bits of pulp that remain with a cheese cloth draped inside the strainer to catch them or just leave it like I do).
11. You can store in an air tight container in your refrigerator for up to a week or you can freeze it for later use if you like.
   

Fall TV Shows


I love watching new shows return after not having seen them since the spring. Two shows I'm particularly excited for are Modern Family (because it's absolutely hilarious) and The Office. Now that Michael Scott has been replaced it will be interesting to see how the new season plays out. I hear Pam gets pregnant again, too.
Oops, spoiler alert...?
There are also a bunch of new shows that will start that I'll watch and see if they're any good.
I like getting to be a critic.

That's it for September.
Anything you're particularly excited for this Septmber?

No comments:

Post a Comment