Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Some 'Good Things' From Martha Stewart Living, June 2012

One of the things I enjoy about not having to go to/ do anything for school is being able to read magazines at leisure.

In Martha Stewart Living's June 2012 publication I came across this article on 'summer sauces' and wanted to share it with you.
I plan on making a few of these to compliment my summer cooking.

Vinaigrette - Combine 2 tbsp minced shallot,2 tbsp white wine vinegar, 2 tsp dijon mustard, and 1/4 tsp coarse salt. Whisk in 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil in a steady trickle until emulsified.

Anchoiade - coarsely chop 16 anchovy fillets and combine with 2 cloves of minced garlic and 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and cook over medium heat until anchovies melt, stirring while cooking to crush the ancovies into a paste. Remove from heat and add 4 tsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp chopped parsley and pepper or red chile flakes.

Pistou - chop 1 clove garlic, add 1/4 tsp salt and mash into a paste. Gradually add 2 cups torn basil and half of 1/3 cup parmesan cheese and mash. Stir in remaining cheese and 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.

Rouille - crush 1/2 tsp saffron threads, pour 1/4 cup boiling water over top and steep for 15 mins. Chop 2 cloves garlic and add a pinch of salt, mash into a paste. To saffron, add 1 cup of torn white bread (crust removed) and press to absorb. Add in 1 egg yolk and stir. Gradualladd 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, stirring constantly. Stir in garlic, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, and 1/4 tsp paprika.

Aioli - chop 2 cloves garlic, add a pinch of salt and mash into a paste. Whisk 2 egg yolks with 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl, slowly add 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1 tbsp water. Add about 1/4 cup oil, drop by drop, and whisk until emulsified. Gently whisk in 1 1/4 cup oil in a stead trickle.Stir in garlic.

Tapenade - finely chop 2 tsp thyme, 3 anchovy fillets, and 2 tbsp capers. Mix with 1 clove minced garlic. Finely chop 2 cups olives (such as kalamata) and add to the bowl along with 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jamie, I just came across your blog by accident and I absolutely loved it from first sight, the style is gorgeous. Then as I started reading and the word "Aioli" was the first I realized - I knew, I've to follow :D I didn't know half of the sauces you've mentioned but they sound really delicious altogether. Cannot wait to return to my own country with my own kitchen to try them :D
    hugs
    Patricia from My Season's Seasoning

    ReplyDelete