Saturday, July 6, 2013

Sip & Savour Ontario

Back (way way back) in June, John and I went to the Sip & Savour event in the Distillery district.
Having never attended this event before, I was unsure what to expect but was very excited at the prospect of eating amazing foods and sampling tons of wines.
 
And sample wines we did!
Here's a list of the participating wineries - HERE - and I can proudly (?) say that we almost sampled wine from every single one.
Almost.
I think my last glass was around Kacaba... I tried another white after a stop at that booth and then promptly shattered my wine glass.
 
And then cut myself off.
 
 
The Distillery District in Toronto is absolutely beautiful to walk through and there's usually an event of some kind going on most weekends.
Here's the calendar of events for the rest of this month.
 
Cheese was featured quite prominently (much to my liking) and we sauntered in to a presentation on cooking with cheese - wisely suggested to use by the food guru herself, Ginger Rose.
 
I don't have the information that they gave us with me so I can't tell you what types of cheese we sampled.
I can tell you they were delicious and the servers also topped up our glasses with pairing wines.

 
The food was delicious.
My hands down favourite was the duck confit crepes, shown below.

 
There was a good deal of seafood up for sampling too which John dug into.
He was fortunate enough to grab the last of the halibut sandwiches.

 
We also grabbed plates which were promptly filled with freshly baked bread, cheeses including cheddar and a feta & watermelon salad, then spicy peppers, pickled beans, and jams like cherry chocolate and plum.
I went back for a second plate of this.

 
I forgot to take a picture (truth: I did take a picture but the picture is of the deserts I had put in my purse to take home) of the amazing mouses that were offered. They had raspberry and triple chocolate among a few others.
 
Also very tasty were the choux pastries from Popelin.
They had blueberry, lemon, and ice wine flavours. All 3 were to die for but the lemon might have been my favourite.
This was also where I broke my wine glass, trying to set it on a non-ledge so I could fill my grubby little hands with pastries.

 
Me, esentially:
 
 
All in all, it was a fantastic night that I would highly recommend checking out. Tickets run a bit on the pricey side but you certainly fill your tummy with wonderful foods and it's an opportunity to get drunk in the classiest of fashions.
 
 Plus the Distillery District is just beautiful.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment