Monday, March 24, 2014

DIY Beachy Waves Hair Spray


During one of my recent Pinterest binges I came across a DIY hair spray for beachy waves.
This is something I covet on the regular.
Beach waves.
I have hit-or-miss success with curling my hair (curling iron, straightener and my sister's 'magic wand' as I call it) so I was eager to try this out and see if it worked.
Especially since I had thrown out my store bought bottle of a similar product when the spray part stopped working.
Oops.
Anyway, this spray is incredibly easy to make and it works fairy well without giving your hair that hard crunchy texture .
And it may likely cost you nothing as there's a fair chance you've already got the majority of the ingredients required.


Mix the following together:
  • 1 cup hot tea (chamomile tea if you want to lighten your hair, black tea if you want to darken it or just 1 cup hot water if you don't want to have to store this in the fridge)
  • 2 tbsp Epsom salts (add more if you want more texture - I might add a 3rd tbsp in to mine)
  • 1/2 tsp conditioner (or almond or jojoba oil if you'd rather)
  • 1 tsp aloe vera
  • 1 tsp lemon juice & 1 tsp vodka (only if you want to risk lightening your hair and don't mind storing your spray in the fridge, otherwise skip this ingredient) or 1 tsp essential oil (without risk of lightening your hair)
  • 1/2 tsp Himalayan or sea salts (this will add some stiffness to your hair. I didn't have either on hand so I left this out)


Mix it all up as best as you can and transfer it into a 10 oz spray bottle.
I dumped out an old Victoria's Secret body spray that I hadn't used in years and used that. 
Shake it (vigorously) to really mix in the Epsom salts. 
Spray into damp hair and then start scrunching your hair.
I did a combination of scrunching, twirling sections, and wrapping my hair into a loose bun.


It gave me decent beach waves for the evening and I was satisfied enough to use this spray again & probably to make another mix once this one runs out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment