Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Try it: Halloumi Cheese

I think I've been poisoned.


Nope, not that kind.


I think I may have given myself food poisoning somehow.
I don't know what could have caused it though cause John and I ate pretty much the same things yesterday and he's fine.
Either that or I caught some kind of bug that woke me up last night at 4:30 am with the worst abdominal cramps I've ever experienced. At one point I thought I was having a heart attack and seriously contemplated waking John up to call 911 with me.
Then it obviously spiraled from there and I figured it had to be something more serious.


So far I'm still in tact though every so often my intestines feel like they're being wrung out.
From 4:30 until about 6:00 am I went back and forth from huddled in the bathroom to fetal position in bed.
When John woke up he got me a hot water bottle and some tums.
I managed to get back to sleep for little while and even get some fluids back into my body.

Last night I made dinner (not food poisoned, as John is feeling fine) and grilled that halloumi cheese I mentioned yesterday.

Halloumi has a cheese-curd-esque squeak to it when you eat it as is but when you grill it... it's incredible. Buy some and grill it. You will NOT regret it.



Halloumi is perfect to grill because it has such a high melting point. I may try breading and frying some halloumi later this evening.
For dinner, I made some penne in a rose sauce - pasta sauce with ricotta and goat cheese swirled in, as well as onions, garlic, and some Paula Deen spice mix that I got for my birthday.
Crumble a bit of the goat cheese on top of  warm pasta for extra flavour.


As I'm still not feeling 100% I'm really craving what every sick person craves:
Chicken Noodle Soup!
I looked up 2 recipes that I'm thinking about making.

(click on it for the recipe)


or




That's it that's all for today!
I'm going to go reheat this water bottle and maybe get dressed.

2 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaand the infatuation you created with Halloumi last post is now gone. I'm down for Martha's CNS (as the cool kids call it...oh god I'm so old). But I have to pass on Paula's because I don't there's enough butter in my county to make it.
    Good luck with your intestinal disorder. Sorry, that sounds gross...Good luck with your stomach bug. Ah, much milder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling much better, thanks! I wish I had separated talk of the halloumi and my illness haha cause I think I've linked them together permanently :( Looking back, I highly doubt it was food poisoning (after webMD diagnosing myself)The halloumi is good though and it takes on a totally different texture and flavour when it's grilled. I'd like to cube it and bbq it on kebabs with red peppers, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes. Don't worry - it's not poisonous!!!
    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete