Friday, August 30, 2013

First Anniversary: Day Two

After a nice sleep in our honeymoon suite we woke up and headed over to 5 Lakes Spa for our couple's massage.
I would gladly pay someone to massage me first thing in the morning every day.
I'd be so happy.
 
Then we got back on the road and made our way to a few more wineries.
First up:
 
 
The view was spectacular (as is the case with so many wineries in Niagara. Really, you need to see them all) and the wines were good (especially the rose!). We got a quick tutorial about red versus black soil and we attempted to taste the difference between cab francs grown in each. We didn't notice too much of a difference but once suggested you kind of catch it in the acidity.

 
We left with a bottle of the 2012 Cabernet Franc Rose and the 2011 Pinot Gris.
Then it was back on the road to finally visit a place I'd been dying to check out:

 
I had looked at this as a possible wedding venue but it's pricey... but so beautiful, inside and out.
If I win the lottery I'm throwing another big party so we can get married again here.
Not that I didn't love our venue, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't change a thing about our wedding.
I just want another one!
We tried more wines, John took a tasting "flight" with 4 pre-selected wines and I opted to pick my own.
We left with a bottle of the 2012 Aligote, the 2010 Gamay Noir 'Droit', and a 2008 Late Harvest Reisling.
 
Then, after some more fun pictures in front of the fountain, we packed up to hit another winery.
Our next stop brought us to one we'd visited in January:

 
I love the covered bridge and in January when we first visited there was a wedding party taking photos here. This would also be a beautiful spot to host a wedding.
Third wedding will be here.
We left with 6 bottles of the 2011 Vidal (it's $6.95, you pretty much have to get either a dozen or a half dozen). a 2009 Reisling, and a jar of red pepper ice jelly.
 
Then we decided to try another place we hadn't already visited:

 
The people here were especially lovely and chatty. I was surprised to find out this winery is responsible for the Sibling Rivalry wines! I suppose if I had bothered to read the label...
But we left here with a 2011 Baco Noir Reserve and a 2011 Estate Reisling.
There was one called 'Family Tree' with an amazing label but the wine we found too dry and we decided to go with the sweeter reisling.
This was obviously a reisling heavy trip.
 
Our last stop was reserved for the winery we had gone to on our actual anniversary but there was another wedding going on and we didn't want to crash.

 
They recognized us when we came in, saying, "the bride and groom are here!" which was so welcoming. We were given a glass of sparkling wine to celebrate, then we sampled a few and grabbed a glass each to take on our walk down memory lane.
We stopped for a few fun pictures along the way.


 
We sat on the secluded beach and just enjoyed our last day as newlyweds.

 
That first year went by entirely too fast but we had some wonderful adventures.
Now we're busy working on year 2 and the even more wonderful things our future has in store for us.
 
Including drinking the 21 bottles of wine we bought for ourselves.

 
And to cap off a perfect anniversary trip?
QPC-BLTs.
Barf.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment