Saturday, September 19, 2009

Autumn

I love autumn.

For the most part.

I love being able to wear short sleeves without feeling cold and wearing long sleeves withoug overheating. I love the colour changes. I love the apples. Really, the only part of autumn that I don't like is the fact that it means winter is just around the corner.

But regardless.
Two years ago John and I went to Chudleigh's apple farm to visit the petting zoo, play in the hay maze, and pick some apples! We had such a fun time and ended up purchasing a number of apples as well as a jar of apple butter, a pumpkin, and other goodies.

We took our apples back to John's parent's house and after setting a few aside for eating purposes, we peeled the rest to use for apple sauce, pies, and blossoms. I was in charge of making the pie crusts while John manned the apple prep. It was so much fun and I'm working on finding a weekend to go again this year.

Here's an apple recipe to get in the autumn/thanksgiving mood:

BAKED APPLE WEDGES (courtesy of Martha Stewart)

  • Heat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle 1 tbsp brown sugar over a baking sheet. Combine 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger and a pinch each of cloves and nutmeg in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
  • Peel 4 macintosh apples and cut into quarters. Cut out cores.
  • In a bowl beat 1 large egg with 1 tbsp milk. Dip apples into the egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Coat well with the oatmeal mixture and transfer to prepared baking sheet.
  • Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until soft. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

I'm off to do some reading and note-taking on oral, injection, and topical meds!

Enjoy your Saturday evenings!

Jamie, M-I-T

No comments:

Post a Comment