Friday, September 11, 2009

Madeleines, My Babies

Ah

The weekend.

I had my brain packed today with normal ranges for blood pressure, oxygen saturation, etc. I'm ready for a couple of days of rest!

One of my favourite things to bake is madeleine cookies. John's mom bought me the shell pan when I graduated from University because I had seen them on Martha and commented on them. I make them on a regular basis now.



This is my beautiful Madeleine pan. It's seen better days but it's proof of how much I've used it.
Typically, they are lemon-y and spongy. I often add lime zest because I love anything lime, and I've tried a few variations including chocolate madeleines and apple madeleines. I think you could add in almost any flavour and end up with good results.

I stole this photo from google but this is what they (usually) look like - with icing sugar sprinkled on top. Delicious. Maybe I'll make some this weekend.

Anyway, here's the recipe that I use for the standard lemon flavoured madeleines:

(Makes about 2 dozen)

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter madeleine pan(s) and set aside.
  • Sift together: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt.
  • Mix together: 3 large eggs, 2 large egg yolks, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp vanilla, 2 tbsp finely grated lemon zest, and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Mix with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for about 5 minutes until pale and thickened.
  • Mix in 3/4 cup of melted butter.
  • Fold the flour into the mixture and then let the batter rest for 30 minutes.
  • Pour the batter into the buttered pan, filling each shell mold about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
  • Bake for 7-8 minutes or until the edges are golden. Turn cookies out, flat side up, on a wire rack to cool then dust with icing sugar*

*The best way to do this is with a small seive. Put 2 tbsps of icing sugar into the seive and dust the cookies by hitting the side of the seive against your palm.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

J


No comments:

Post a Comment