Friday, July 15, 2011

Farewell & Thanks for the Memories

As I assume everyone knows, the final Harry Potter movie has been released.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 came out last night and while I'm extremely jealous of all of the people who got to go see it last night at midnight (and who subsequently received Harry Potter-styled 3D glasses), I am very excited to go and see it with my mom!
We've gone to see the last 3 or 4 movies together in theatre so it's become tradition.
We also spent an entire day taking turns reading chapters of the last book to each other while we waited for my pre-ordered copy to arrive.
I thought I was being smart by doing so but that sneaky woman went out early that morning and bought the book from Shoppers Drug Mart so she had her copy a full 3 hours before mine arrived.
Once the postal worker arrived with mine (I literally ran out to meet him half way up the driveway) we would silently devour one chapter at a time then stop and discuss what had just transpired.
Most Harry Potter fans are big nerds like me, right?
I'm not alone in this?

Anyway, as there are no more books or movies to anticipate it seems the saga has finally come to an end.
While I'm sad to see it end I know it's not the last time I will read or watch Harry Potter.

Goodbye, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ronald Weasley, Luna Lovegood, Neville Longbottom, and friends.


Goodbye Hogwarts, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
I'm still waiting for my acceptance letter...


Goodbye, Weasley Family.
You've earned a special place in my heart with your red hair, your resilience in the face of adversity, your acceptance of all people (muggles included), and your genuine love for one another.



In case people haven't read/seen the final movie (disgraceful) I won't continue my goodbyes.
Instead I will give you a recipe for something all HP fans will recognize:

Butter Beer



1 cup light or dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
6 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
Four 12-ounce bottles cream soda
 
  • In a small saucepan over medium, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer.
  • Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
  • Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.
  • In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.
  • To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each

No comments:

Post a Comment