Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Hot Town, Summer in the City

I don't know about the weather where everyone else is but my gosh it's a stinker today.
And tomorrow is supposed to be even worse!
It's 40+ with the humidity.
But I complain about the cold and winters so I will not complain about the heat that I ask for.
I love summer. Yes, even the heat waves.

Before I forget (like there's any way I could actually forget to mention this) I finally (FINALLY!) saw Harry Potter last night!
Oh my gosh was it good.
Everything I could have asked for.
I won't bore you with my moment-by-moment playback but I laughed, I cried, and I got so excited I forgot I'm almost 26 years old.

But back to the heat.
One thing I love about summer is that certain fruits and vegetables taste better.
2 of these can be found in this recipe!
This simple summer salad requires no oven or stove so, if like me you lack central air, you won't be adding an additional heat source to your already humid home.

Martha's Stuffed Tomatoes with Peaches, Corn, Cucumbers & Basil

  • Slice off tops of 8 ripe medium beefsteak tomatoes (about 1/2 inch). Scoop out the seeds and ribs, and coarsely chop. Stir together chopped tomatoes, 2 peaches, 3 cucumbers, kernels from 2 ears of corn, 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 1/4 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust for acidity, adding up to 1 tablespoon more lime juice. Stir in 1/2 cup shredded basil.
  • Season inside of tomato shells with salt and pepper. Fill tomatoes with tomato mixture, and garnish with basil sprigs. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment