Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chicken Dinner

One more day to go before the freedoms of the weekend is upon us!
Hip-Hip-Hooray!
Last night I sort of threw a mix & match of ingredients together to make the chicken. I was going to go with a Martha recipe but decided to make life easy and just sort of go with what was on hand. Very Michael Smith "cooking without a recipe" (that's his recipe) of me.
If you're curious as to how I made my chicken look like this :
...then I will tell you!
I poured in about 1/2 to 1 cup of chicken broth, a splash of red wine vinegar, and added in a diced onion and some baby carrots. Then I tossed in the chicken. I gave it a quick rub with some citrus grapeseed oil then added black pepper, salt, and paprika.
I also left the skin on while cooking becuase it helps to seal in some of the juices. I did rip open the skin to rub the oil on the actual meat though. And I didn't eat the skin.
Steam some broccoli and cauliflower, make some basmati rice, and roast some sweet potatoes and you've got a delicious dinner.

I think we're going to use the rest of the chicken to make some broth. Just boil it down until there's nothing on the bones. My mom used to do that with the left over turkey from Christmas dinner and turn it into a stew. It was so good.
Monday is John's mom's birthday so we're having his family over for dinner this weekend. John is manning the main course (a pasta dish most likely) so I can take sides and desert so long as his sister doesn't want to take care of the cake.
I was thinking of making some bread in the machine and then I got looking at this and this and now I don't know what I want to make.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.
I have my first day on a neuro-surgery floor tomorrow so I'll let you know how that goes....
Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment