Friday, January 8, 2010

Breakfast Egg Recipe aka Soldiers!

Friday!
And as an added bonus - my weekend started early because my lab day at school was canceled! 3 day weekend! I found out at a bad time though because I was already up, had eaten breakfast and downed a cup of coffee, so I was up up. Rather than try unsuccessfully to go back to bed I made John breakfast! It's been awhile since I've done that so I thought it'd be a nice gesture.
We have no bacon (sad face) so instead of bacon and eggs I made perogies and something my mom used to make for me and my sister:
Soliders!

I always assumed this was the poper name for this breakfast until I asked John one day if he wanted soldiers and he looked at me like I was wearing a straightjacket. THEN today I finally found some reassurance. I googled "soft boiled egg cooking time" cause I was unsure of how long I had before the yolk completely congealed and the very first website I came across called it soldiers! Yayy!
So here's what you do:
  1. Place an egg (or two) into a pot with enough water to just cover the egg. Bring the ater up to a boil and allow the egg to cook for about 4 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, toast some bread. Butter the toast and cut length-wise into 4 strips.
  3. When the egg is done, place it into an egg cup and allow it to cool for a minute, then using a spoon or a knife, remove the very top of the egg so that the yolk (which should be runny) is visible.
  4. Dip the bread (the soliders) into the egg and enjoy!
It's a good breakfast and eggs are very good for you so long as you don't over do it. They are a source of protein and are fairly low-cal (about 70 calories per egg) but the yolks are a source of cholesterol so eating eggs every day isn't necessarily a good idea, especially if you already have high cholesterol. Egg whites, however, can pretty much do you no wrong.
Ok party people, I'm off to maintain my get-fit resolution and hit the gym! Martha is a Yoga show today and it's making me feel guilty for sitting on the couch in my PJs.
I also bought a Yoga DVD on Tuesday.....maybe I'll do it later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment