Friday, August 13, 2010

Cornbread Souffle & An Easy Craft


A fun Friday. And it's only just begun.

Did a 10 k run this morning in my Sporting Life time so I'm quite happy.

And I don't have to go to work until 4:15 so I planned a nice little shopping fmorning for myself. Some items on my want list may have to wait until tomorrow though because I got a Winner's gift card for my birthday. I want to buy new towels and I figured it'll be most cost effective if I wait and check Winner's prices first.
I picked up a steak and a lobster tail so that John can make himself a nice dinner and unwind for the weekend. And he better save me some or he's in trouble.
I went looking for new running shoes but saw none that particularly jumped out at me.
I picked up some black ribbon, some grey ribbon, and a new shower curtain for $7! The shower curtain aside, I bought the ribbon because I wanted to revamp my bulleting board into something more glamorous. I was tired of the nautical theme and wanted to make it fit with the black and white we have going on in the living room area.
I was aiming for this kind of look:


And I got this:

Not too shabby! It actually does look nicer than the photo makes it look. I lent John my camera and don't know where he put it so I'm stuck using the camera on my laptop. I want to get more black ribbon so I can extend the centre X right up to the top and down to the bottom.

I also grabbed a few ingredients I will need to make a recipe I saw in an old edition of Cottage Life magazine.

My mom's having a BBQ tomorrow night so I volunteered to bring this:

Cornbread Souffle


1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2.Combine 1 cup of cornmeal, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl.

3. In a seperate bowl, beat 2 eggs, 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 cup cream-style corn, 1/4 cup evaporated milk and 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Add in the dry ingredients once mixed and stir until just moistened.

4. Spoon into a greased ramekin (a large one ideally or several of the creme bulee sized ones if you don't have a bigger one) or a casserole dish. Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the souffle comes out clean.

I'm curious to see how like a souffle this actually is. I'm pretty sure for a traditional souffle you need to whisk the crap out of egg whites to give it that proper puff that it needs.

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out. I'm sure it'll taste good regardless. Cornbread is amazing. And it'll go so well with the ribs tomorrow night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment