Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hamburgers: the Ultimate Summer Dinner

As everyone should have known, last week was shark week on the Discovery Channel.
Despite my searching and waiting, I did not see one shark show.
NOT ONE!

All I could see was that there was one hour of shark programming a day. Now I understand that I work during prime programming hours but one hour? One measly hour out of 24 that could have been devoted to sharks? That does not qualify as a shark week.
So, Discovery, I'm calling shenanigans on you and demanding a redo.
I want a proper shark week!
Last night, while hungry and dreaming of food, I came to the sad realization that I have only had 2 hamburgers all summer.
Hamburgers are the ultimate summer food! The smell of the BBQ, the juicy meat, the condiments and add-ons fresh from the garden.....
I've decided I need more hamburgers in my life before summer 2010 is done.
I may try my hand at Martha's Perfect Burger as it seems pretty straight forward.
(this picture is not of said burger)

Martha's Perfect Burger
You will need:
  • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck (80 percent lean)
  • Vegetable oil, for grates
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted (if desireded)
1. Divide the meat into 4 even portions and shape into patties. Make a 1/4 inch indentation with your thumb in the centre of each patty as this prevents a rounded top from forming on top of the burger during grilling. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to grill.
2. Heat the grill to high and moisten a folded paper towel with vegetable oil. Using tongs, quickly wipe the vegetable oil over the grill to prevent the burger from sticking.
3. Season each of the patties with salt and black pepper on both sides then place on the grill. Grilling for 2-4 minutes per side should get you a medium-rare burger.
4. Serve and add condiments as desired.
That's it!
I'm off to work to make some money and to put a bigger dent in my new book.

No comments:

Post a Comment