Friday, August 27, 2010

Pommes Jamie & Sauteed Garlic Broccoli Rabe

For my birthday I received Martha Stewart's Hors d'oeuvres Handbook.
I spent an evening with my bedside light on, scouring the photo pages, post-it tabs in hand.
I've tabbed quite a few pages and kind of want to do a Julie & Julia inspired cook-my-way-through-this-book challenge.
Eventually.
I came across one in particular that I was anxious to try: Pommes Annette.
The recipe calls for goat cheese to be layered between slices of potato, with thyme, black pepper and salt flavourings.
I had been kind of weirdly craving blue cheese so I decided to switch the goat cheese for blue cheese, and switch the thyme for rosemary because I truly think it is a natural partner for any and every potato dish.
So, may I present to you
Pommes Jamie


They look GOOD, right?
They are.
Here's how you can make your own Pommes Jamie or, if you're not a blue cheese fan, Pommes Annette with goat cheese.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Thinly slice potatoes so that they will fit into muffin cups. Brush some melted butter on the bottom of each muffin cup and place a small bit of rosemary on top.
2. Place a slice of potato directly on top of the rosemary. Place a small bit of blue cheese on top of the first potato slice and then place another slice on top of the cheese, pressing down slightly. Make sure to use enough cheese so that the potato slices will stick together. If you want to make true Pommes Jamie, alternate with white and red potato slices.

3. Continue to layer until you reach the top of the muffin cup - about 4 slice sof potato. Brush the top slice with melted butter. Place another muffin baking pan on top of the one with the potatoes and press down. This will ensure that the potatoes compress while baking and it will make them hold together better. Bake for about 30 minutes and then remove the top muffin pan. Bake for another 10 minutes if necessary or until the potatoes start to turn a nice golden brown colour.

4. Carefully remove the potato stacks from the pans and then turn them so that the rosemary side is up. Then serve and bask in the glow of awe and respect from your guests :)



The two other vegetable side dishes I made last night were butter-roasted yellow and green zucchini, and sauteed broccoli rabe.

Sauteed Garlic Broccoli Rabe


This is beyond easy to make and it's tasty and good for you!
1. In a wok, heat 3-4 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat.
2. Thinly slice 3 cloves of garlic and add them to the oil.
3. Cut the stems off of the broccoli rabe and toss in the oil and garlic. Turn the heat down to medium-low or low (depending on how soon you want them to be done) and cover the wok with a lid. Allow broccoli to steam and become soft. Make sure to remove the lid and toss the greens every so often to prevent them from burning and sticking to the bottom of the wok.
4. Remove from heat, serve, and enjoy!



That's it!
I've finished mixing all of my ingredients for the ciabatta loaf and in another hour it will have finished rising and will be ready to go in the oven.
I'm going to do two seperate loaves, one just a straight up ciabatta, and the other with thinly sliced potatoes, parmesan cheese, and rosemary.

I'm on a potato-rosemary kick apparently.
This bread was what originally got me thinking about potatoes and rosemary so I think that's what inspired Pommes Jamie ;)

I'm also heading to the CNE at some point today - hopefully in a few hours so I can get this bread baking first!

No comments:

Post a Comment