Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Engagement Party Hors D'oeuvre

A little while ago I posted some of the food items I made for my birthday party. One of those was the pear and camembert on puff pastry hors d'oeuvre.
My best friend and her fiance are hosting their engagement party this Saturday.
And having attended my birthday, they asked if I would make those hors d'oeuvres for the party and of course I jumped at the chance to help out my friend and to spend some time in the kitchen playing around with flavours.
While they specifically requested the pear & camembert I couldn't stop thinking about what other combinations I could work with. After getting the go-ahead to get a little creative this is what I've come up with.
Keep in mind all of these will be lightly melted on puff pastry squares.

1. Insalata Caprese - Tomato, Buffalo Mozzarella & Basil


This flavour combination is savoury and delicious. Perhaps some olive oil or balsamic vinegar to drizzle on top?

2. Peaches with Honey-infused Ricotta


Ricotta and peaches go so well together and I'm thinking tha I'll stir honey into the ricotta before I spoon it over the peach slices. This will be the sweet to the insalata caprese's savoury.

3. Pear & Camembert or Brie


I know it went over well last time and it was requested so I won't disappoint.

4. Brie and Balsamic Red Pepper Jelly

I forgot to go take a picture of the jar but I got a jar of this amazing jelly from friend and food blogger extraordinaire Ginger Rose. The jelly is sweet but it also has this bite that makes you want a second taste.
Baked on top of some brie this might be the favourite of the hors d'oeuvre tray!

If you have any other flavour pairings that you think would be good to add to this list please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Jamie, if you're getting cheese...make sure to hit up Grande Cheese on Orfus Rd. They make most of the cheese in-house; you really cant beat the freshness (and the price too). The ricotta, especially, is so fresh you can get it still warm - only problem is there wont be any left for the party :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie, I have a confession. I am obsessed with your blog. I have only just recently discovered it and am now your official blog-stalker.

    Anyway, something to add to your fruit cheese combo would be fig and goat, which is just spectacular. You could also do something really amazing with beets and feta... mmmm

    Now I wish I still lived in TO so I could enjoy some of these fine tapas!

    ReplyDelete