Saturday, January 29, 2011

Ebelskivers

First things first: the cheesecake brownies won the vote.
They were delicious.
My competitor forgot about the brownie bake-off so I won by default. But word in the office was that I would have won anyway.
Make those brownies, they are phenomenal.
I used a half ricotta half cream cheese mix instead of mascarpone since it's soooo expensive.
In other news...
For christmas I got a new pan and a recipe book to put the pan to use. It's for Ebelskivers.
Never heard of them?
Neither had I!
They're essentially a dutch filled pancake. But they don't need to be filled if you prefer your pancakes straight up.
I made three kinds: plain, chocolate chip, and ricotta.

Since they were my first attempt they didn't turn out exactly as they looked in the book. But with practice comes perfection so I will keep practicing.
Once you have the pan it's pretty easy to get started.
  • Mix together 1 cup flour, 1 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp baking powder.
  • Seperate 2 eggs and to the yolks add 1 cup of milk and 2 tbsp butter.
  • Mix the yolk mixture into the flour and stir with the back of a wooden spoon.
  • Whip the 2 egg whites until soft peaks form then gently fold into the flour mixture, starting with 1/3 first and then adding in the rest.
  • Pour 2 tbsp into each cup in the pan. Add any filling, then top up with 1 more tbsp.
  • Cook on medium heat until bubbles form.
Gently, using either a knife or shish-kebab sticks, flip the ebelskiver over so that the other side can finish cooking.
Give the ebelskivers a few more minutes then remove from the pan.

Serve and enjoy!
There are recipes for some really delicious sounding ebelskivers that I'm going to make tomorrow!
I'm bringing in a breakfast contribution for the Black History Month breakfast-talk thing on Tuesday at placement so Im going to make some more ebelskivers!

Probably some sweet and some savory.

Also - I got netflix. Movie selection isn't the greatest but the TV shows are pretty good. John and I are watching Mad Men.
Oh Jon Hamm.
You handsome devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment