Saturday, January 8, 2011

Gummy Candies!

Today my friend (my incredibly talented cake-decorating friend) Danielle and I are getting together to bake slash create amazing things.
One of those things will be gummy candies!
I'm very excited.
This is a whole new challenge and I hope it works out as planned.
She's pretty on the ball though so I have no doubt that this venture will turn out successful.
To see some of her ridiculously incredible stuff, visit her site here.
While I don't know what recipe we will be using for the gummy candies, I do know that we rquire both gelatin and pectin (I bought both liquid pectin and pectin crystals just in case) so I searched for a recipe that included both.
If you want to join in the challenge, follow this recipe!
I can post the recipe we follow later on.
Gummy Candies



  • Lightly oil candy moulds (or use ice cube trays to make gummy cubes, OR use a cookie sheet and make shapes later on using cookie cutters).
  • Combine 1 box pectin (1 3/4 ounces) with 1/2 tsp baking powder in a medium saucepan. Add 3/4 cup water and place the pan over medium heat, stirring well until the pectin dissolves. As it heats, the mixture will foam. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick, smooth, and clear - about 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover the pan to keep the pectin warm.
  • Combine 1 cup light corn syrup and 1 cup sugar in another medium saucepan. Place over high heat and stir until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil.
  • Cook, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 260 degrees F (hard ball stage). Immediately add the pectin mixture and return the syrup to a boil. Boil for exactly 1 minute then remove pan from heat.
  • Add 2 tsp lemon or orange (or any flavour) extract and 6-8 drops of corresponding food colouring and mix until incorporated. Pour the syrup into the candy moulds and set them aside at room temperature until set, about 5 hours.
  • When the candies are set, sprinkle the tops with superfine sugar as this will allow you to handle the sticky candies. Shake off excess sugar and use your fingers to remove the candies from the moulds. Completely cover the candy with superfine sugar if desired.

I hope it works out perfectly!
I have candy moulds for chocolate that I'm going to bring with me but for the most part I think we're using ice cube trays.
Very excited!
I'll post pictures of the results tomorrow plus any variation in the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment