Friday, January 14, 2011

This Week's Run Down

It's Friday!
What a week!
I was back at school and back at work full time and surprisingly (or maybe not surprisingly) being that busy made the week fly by.
Monday I worked a double shift (7 am to 11 pm with breaks scattered in). Tuesday I was back in my placement office for the first time in almost a month. It was a great first day back, too. I had two caseworkers approach me about helping them with clients. One spoke no english so after researching resources, I called the translator to relay this information.
Well.
This woman knew the client and was not only translating for her but also trying to advise this woman what was best. And while the translator was trying to push the same ideas on the client as the caseworkers (getting help caring for her elderly mother so she could take ESL classes), she obviously had a vested interest and spoke quite heatedly for 15 minutes straight. I got about two words in the entire time.
Yikes!
Then Tuesday night I was back at work, made another stop motion video but it's too embarassing of the star to put up so I won't for his sake. But it's absolutely hilarious. I was on the floor laughing with tears running down my face.
Wednesday was back at placement and I got a lot of work started on my learning plan for this semester! I also am part of the Health and Wellness Committee so we had our first meeting of the new year. I'm making the vegetarian chili for Chili Day on the 26th! I'm also working with one of the supervisors to add more resources to the wellness page on the office website! I'm already so much more involved this semester and I'm loving it.
I also volunteered to bring something in for the breakfast the Black History Month Committee is having on Feb 1st! I'm thinking possible the breakfast lasagna that my aunt and mom make.
Wednesday I went to work at another pool and my staff is 3 younger girls - all of who are so professional, so sweet...I love them already.
Thursday I had class from 10-1 and then a conference clas from 4-6. Both went pretty well...the 10-1 class is horribly boring but I'm trying to make a resolution of sorts with myself to attend every class. Or at least mostly every class. Ugh....then Thursday night was back to work again.
Today was wonderful. Class from 10-1. Then home to watch Jersey Shore (don't judge me). I wasn't sure about the class I had this morning going into it. It's called Leadership and Change. Sounds pretty boring, right? I'll wait to pass judgement at the end of the semester but I was actually kind of inspired during the class. We got immediately into the group we'll be working with all semester. I like my group members so far and we seem to get along pretty well. The woman teaching the course said a lot of things that really resonated with me. She talked about the need for leaders rather than managers. She talked about the bullying of younger nurses that goes on in the workplace, and the need for us to learn now how to work together to support one another and build each other up.
Call me corny, but I left that class feeling a little bit taller, knowing that maybe one day I'll help to foster a positive work environment.
And now for the most exciting news of the week:
On Wednesday night I got a call from one of my supervisors. He explained that in 2 Sundays from now the Lifesaving Society is going to be filming a video at the pool, one which, as I understand it, is going to be used in the new NLS courses. My supervisor asked me if I wanted to be in the video! Obviously I said yes. Im not going to pass up my moment to shine! My big star turn. Plus it's not just a background appearance. I'm pretty sure I get some lines!
I'll let you know how it goes!
Anyway, John just got home so we're going to pop in a pizza, put on some Pacific, and spend some time together!
I found a really good sounding recipe for lime cheesecake squares that I want to try.
It's from the people over at Canadian Living


  • Line an 8-inch square metal cake pan with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang on opposite sides.
  • In a bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups oreo cookie crumbs and 1/3 cup melted butter. Press evenly into the prepared cake pan and refirgerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
  • In a large bowl, beat 3 pkgs cream cheese until smooth. Add 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk, 1/4 cup whipping cream, 2 tsp lime rind, 1/4 cup lime juice, and 1 tbsp granulated sugar. Beat until smooth. Scrape over cookie base and smooth with a spatula. Refridgerate until set, about 4 hours.
To serve:
  • Using paper overhand as handles, transfer the cheesecake from the pan onto a cutting board, Using a hot knife (and wiping the blade clean after ach cut), cut the cake into squares.
  • Whip 1/4 cup of heavy cream and spoon or pipe about 1 tsp onto each square. Place a thin slice of lemon or lime rind on top as a garnish.


No comments:

Post a Comment